Tuesday 27 September 2011

Sympathising with slashers: Jason Voorhees

Sympathising with slashers: Jason Voorhees
By Cyraxis

Right so I usually do all the game reviews, the really bitter ones where I call everyone various things to show my displeasure with them, so I thought I'd do something that's just a bit of fun that I can't get angry about, horror films. Now I may do reviews of film at some point but for now I'll just stick to a bit of a conundrum that I find in these types of film, I hate people...all of them young, old, tall, short, thin, fat yea especially those fat ones, so when I watch a horror film I always seem to cheer on the killer so for a laugh I thought I'd do a little something that may persuade you all to see things my way and consider the side of the homicidal maniac, starting with my all time favourite killer Jason Voorhees.

Something that most people don't know is that the killer in the first Friday the 13th film was actually Jason's mother and that Jason didn't make an appearance till right at the very end and even then he was just a small...rather mouldy looking boy. It wasn't until the second film that he made his proper screen début and even then he was sporting a sack on his head instead of his iconic hockey mask which he got in the truly abysmal Friday the 13th 3D. Jason's back story is that he was a young disfigured boy who went to Camp Crystal Lake where his mother worked as a chef. While he was there he was pushed in the lake and due to not being able to swim he drowned...only he didn't drown because he became a zombie...only he wasn't a zombie Because he was alive in the second one...but then he died and became a zombie? Oh well who cares, the film makers clearly didn't.

In the first film Jason's mother goes around killing off all the camp guide/warden people who could have saved Jason's life but didn't because they were to busy having sex...I'm sure as he died Kevin Bacon's last thought was 'doesn't matter, had sex'. After that Jason takes over the killing and to be fair he has a valid reason, the campers killed him, he wants revenge. I'm sure everyone has been bullied at some point and we all know the desire for revenge, this is the same thing as you have felt...but on a slightly larger scale. Anyway as the series progresses Jason stabs, slashes, cuts, crushes, smashes, snaps decapitates and does generally unpleasant things to various groups of teenagers as they go about doing teenage things and not one of them makes us empathise with them. Every group is the same stock group of morons as the last with no redeeming qualities and all just crying out to get murdered.

But Jason isn't the only one doing the harming, as it goes he get drowned, stabbed, impaled, electrocuted, has toxic chemicals spilt on him, has buildings collapsed on him and eventually shot into space where he falls back to earth. He takes one hell of a beating and just keeps walking, and somehow no matter how fast the teenagers run he still catches them when he's just plodding along. I think Jason Voorhees is an inspiration, he sets his mind on a task and just keeps going after it, reaching for it until he achieves his goals...or is killed again but that doesn't really make much of a difference to him any more. And that is why he deserves sympathy for his cause, after all he is only human...I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment